Tuesday, June 21, 2011

My Favorite Fitness/Nutrition Author

Hi Everyone.  Sorry, I've neglected my blog for quite awhile, and put a few things ahead of it, like a big party for my son's college graduation.  Now that it's behind me, it's time to get back to my passion...talking about wellness.

 
By the way, some of you have asked how you can become a "follower" of my blog.  Thank you for your interest.  Scroll down to the very bottom of the page, where it says, in white letters, "Follow by Email."  There's a long thin white strip below that, and it is in that strip that you type in your email address.  Then click on the "Submit" button next to the strip.  It should work, and my posts should automatically come to your inbox each time I write. 

There are a lot of self-help books out there, but I just have to share this author with you:  Bob Greene.  Maybe you remember him from his days as Oprah's diet and fitness guru. I have two of his books.  The Life You Want is written so well.  He wrote the book with a psychologist and a nutritionist, so they really cover all the bases.  You can tell they have done their research, and the approach is so matter of fact, yet the empathy piece is there as well.  Here is just one passage from this wonderful book:

"Everyone's brain is programmed to seek pleasure, a mechanism that encourages us to consume more high-calorie foods.  Given the body's drive to store body fat in anticipation of leaner times, every time you munch on a bag of chips or scarf down a doughnut, pathways in your brain trigger the release of neurotransmitters such as endorphins and serotonin, chemical messengers associated with positive emotions.  That's why it feels so good.  And if you use foods to self-medicate when you feel lonely or sad or stressed, you reinforce the system.  The next time you're in the same emotional low, you brain will remember what gave you relief the last time and urge you to eat those chips or doughnuts, all over again."

I would add the words "and alcohol" when he talks about using foods to self-medicate.  I think the same effect can happen with alcohol (or other drug) use. 

I recently purchased another book of Bob's, titled 20 Years Younger.  I didn't even like the title, but I figured it was worth checking out something else he's written, so I purchased it used, which is how I purchase most of my books.  It's great!  He has done so much research on the aging process.  And, although there are some things that are just going to happen on the molecular level, that you don't have any control over, he certainly points out some things that can make you a little more proactive and motivated to try to slow down the aging process.  Here's one of my favorite passages:

"Countless studies have shown that if you strength train you can regain and/or maintain muscle volume, endurance, and power-even if you're ninety years old."  Yippee!!! 

All for now.  I have to go to the gym and lift some weights! I hope this finds you enjoying working on your wellness.  Who are some of your favorite self-help book authors?  I'd love to hear about your recommendations.

Mary R.

No comments: