Wednesday, June 1, 2016

More of This and That




How is everyone doing?  I thought I’d share some random stuff again.

I would just like to give an opinion about bullying.  It seems like discussions on that topic are limited to kids bullying kids.  I’m here to say that I recently experienced bullying from some elderly women at the rest home where I volunteer, playing the piano for sing-alongs!  Yup, you read that right.  Long story, and I’m sure I’m waaaaaaaaaaaaay too sensitive of a person, but they really stole my thunder. I need to remind myself that a few bad apples can spoil the whole experience.  I also need to remember that there were several other people there who enjoyed my music, and thanked me for being there.  Still, it’s hard.  People should not intimidate others, and people (like me) need to not let people get to them. Enough said, other than the fact that we need to look at bullying as a societal problem, and not just something that happens among kids. Don’t fans sometimes bully the referees? Have you ever experienced bullying in the work place?  There are immature people everywhere.

Moving on.  Let’s hear it for this number – TWENTY!!!
·  Just TWENTY minutes of cardio can give a person an afterglow of up to 12 hours.
·  It takes TWENTY minutes for your brain to send a signal that you are full, so put down that fork once in a while, take a sip of water, breathe, chew each bite longer, sit on your hands if you must, to avoid the tendency to overeat, simply because of eating too fast. 
·  It takes TWENTY minutes after a stressful situation occurs for serotonin, (a chemical messenger that is believed to help stabilize mood) to bounce back, and for the stress hormones to fall.  Be patient during that time, and try not to make any rash decisions. 

    *Just think, since it takes a 3500 calorie deficit in order to lose a pound, if you cut out just one 100 calorie “extra” every day, you would not be taking in 100 X 365 (or 36,500) calories a year.  That’s the equivalent of a ten-pound loss!  If you want to (slowly) drop 10 pounds, change one simple thing.  No creamer in your coffee?  One scoop of ice cream instead of two?  Regular popcorn instead of buttered popcorn?  Water instead of soda? Just one little change can do that.


*Do you have a tendency to pour a huge bowl of cereal?  Try a coffee mug instead of a bowl.

*Sweet potatoes are one of the healthiest foods out there.  They have fiber; vitamins A, C, B1, B2, B6; anti-oxidants; anti-inflammatory nutrients; iron, and more!  Try eating one cooked in foil, or roasted with a little olive oil, with no sugar added. You might be surprised by how good it tastes.


*Have you ever wondered why some elderly people eat so much less than we do?  Well, good for the older members of our society who do that, because after age 30,  metabolism slows at a rate of about 5% per decade, and that rate accelerates as we age.  Shucks!  So, at age 70, that means your metabolism is at LEAST 20% slower.  One more reason to exercise, and build muscle mass.

*Here's some suggestions for change that I read about recently:

  •  Instead of saying I should..., try I’d like to…
  •  Try mindful eating, instead of mindless eating.
  •  To Do lists are good, but also consider a Don’t Do list.
  •  Instead of saying you have to work out, say you get to do it.
  •   Say I don’t quit, not I can’t quit.

*I know this sounds easier said than done, but the next time you feel pain in a certain area of your body, try concentrating on an area of your body that isn’t feeling pain.  Let me know if that works for you, and I’ll do the same.

*The next time you think you are way too busy to exercise, even for 30 minutes a day, even if it’s broken down into three ten minute segments, remember this:  Thirty minutes is only 2% of a day.

*Is there something or someone who is really frustrating you?  Picture the problem or the person on a conveyor belt, and the belt is moving away from you.  Hey, I’ll try that with those ladies from the rest home!

*A goal is a DREAM with a DEADLINE.  I like it!

All for now, but please remember to put yourself and your health first.  Remember the instructions you’re given on an airline:  Put your oxygen mask on first, before helping your loved ones and those around you. 

I hope you are loving life.

Mary



No comments: