Sunday, October 9, 2016

Interesting Information About My Favorite Topic, WELLNESS.


Hi Everyone,

I’m out in the boonies, camping and hunting.  Well, I haven’t hunted, but I might go out with the group later this afternoon.  Anyway, with a lot of time on my hands, I’ve been reading up on my favorite topic, WELLNESS, and of course I’d like to share my findings with all of you:

·        * I think we all know that caffeine can be very good for you, but as with most things, if you have too much of it, there will be negative effects.  There were over 5,000 caffeine overdose cases in 2007, and almost 50% of the cases were in people 18 and younger.  (I can’t help but wonder about the effects of energy drinks, because I don’t think enough research has been done on that topic.) 
    Unsweetened coffee or tea can be considered a health food, since caffeine is the number one source of antioxidants in our American diet.  There was a study that found that coffee can lower the risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease by 65%, in people who drank 3-5 cups a day.  A cup has 8 ounces, so that would be 24-40 ounces of coffee. Just to give you an idea, a Starbucks Venti is the equivalent of three cups of coffee.  Remember, I’m talking about black coffee.

·         *A lot of people, including myself, like to drink diet pop from time to time.  The artificial sweeteners in diet soda can disrupt the levels of good bacteria in your gut, which in turn can affect your mood and cognition. Darn!

·        * I like this quote:  “Treat your body like it belongs to someone you love.”

·         *Do you have trouble finding you parking spot sometimes?  Take a photo of the parking spot with your phone!  You could even write a description of where it is by using your notepad app.

·        * How to avoid hat hair:  finger comb your hair straight back, so there’s no part, and then put on your cap.

·         *Instead of buying a sports drink after a workout, drink regular water and eat a banana.  Bananas replace just as much glucose and electrolytes as a sports drink.

·         *I had to measure my waist recently when I was taking a wellness test. For women, a waist size of more than 35 inches means you are at an increased risk for heart disease. A man's waist measurement would need to be 40 inches, or more, to indicate the same risk. Are you ready for a self-test?

·         *I never know what fruits and vegetables to store inside or outside of the fridge.  Here’s the news on that:  Room temperature for tomatoes, and basil (in a glass of water).  Potatoes, onions and garlic belong in a cool, dark, dry place.  Apples and pears stay longer in the fridge.  Keep bananas out at room temp until they ripen, then put them in the fridge because the fruit stays firm longer.  The same goes for avocados and any stone fruits (like plums or peaches).

·         *Try not to think of wellness as an all or nothing endeavor.  People who think that way are more likely to turn away from trying to improve their overall health.  Set one or two reasonable goals at a time, and don’t forget to look at all areas of wellness:  personal, mental, physical, social, intellectual, and ethical health.

·         *In our culture, mimicking behavior is hard-wired within us, and we may not always be aware that we are mimicking others.  The more people who dine together, the more food people eat.  When someone seems to be finished with his/her meal, but then witnesses someone else reaching for more food, that first person might just go for more food, even though it wasn’t his or her intent.  I didn't realize that, so I will keep that in mind when I'm eating with a large group of people.

   Well, I started this post while hunting, but now I'm back home.  I loved how quiet it was when I went along on a hunt.  No deer were seen, but I did see wild horses and turkeys.  I also saw a herd of female elk. Life is all about simple pleasures.  Do you agree?

    Take care, and enjoy the changes of scenery, tastes and smells that are part of the fall season.

    Mary





























No comments: