Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Stopping a Bad Habit or Developing a New Good Habit

Hi Everyone,

Doesn't the summer weather just put an extra bounce in your step and make you feel a little more optimistic?  What a good time to try to start on that wellness goal that's been mulling around in your mind for a long time.  Maybe there's bad habit getting in your way, or maybe you've been wanting to start a new, good habit. 

Many of you know that I've been working on writing a self-esteem workbook for middle schoolers.  Several of the pages are good for people of all ages.  Today I thought I'd include one of those pages.  It's titled, "21 Days to Success!"  Research shows that it takes three weeks, or 21 consecutive days, of putting in a positive effort,  to stop a bad habit, or start a new one.  So, I've developed a chart for keeping track of your efforts.  You might want to come up with a reward that you can earn at the end of the three weeks, although the inner satisfaction, and the resulting better state of health is usually enough.  I will post the chart below.  Unfortunately, I couldn't attach the actual document for you to copy.  I had to take a picture of it!  Guess I have a lot to learn about creating posts.  At any rate, if you'd like a copy of the actual document, to make in its original 8 1/2  X 11" size, you could let me know by email, if you know my email address, or in the comment section, and I will be sure to help you out with that.



A good friend of mine suggested that some people might be too overwhelmed by such a task, that it might be better to make just a one week chart and try to conquer that first.  Makes sense.  Whatever works for you, and at whatever pace works for you, that's what it's all about.  (And I bet you thought the Hokey Pokey was what it was all about!) Just remember that research has shown that you must practice the new behavior for three weeks in a row for the brain to get the message that a new pattern has been made.

Good luck on achieving your goal of improved wellness.  I shall close for now.  I need to make a copy of the chart and put it on my kitchen cupboard, so I can get started on improving my own state of wellness!

Please spread the word to any of your friends and relatives who might be interested in my blog.  Thanks for taking the time to visit this post. Here's wishing you optimism as you work on self-improvement.

Mary R.

No comments: