Wednesday, May 1, 2013

How is Everyone?

Hi Everyone,

How are you doing?  Are you enjoying watching the spring flowers share their beauty with us? I sure am.  It's the little joys in life that put that extra bounce in my step.  Is it the same for you? Do tell.  I'd love to hear from you.

Shoot, May arrived before I could complete my April post! My goal has always been to write one post a month.  So, maybe I'll write another post this month, to make up for my procrastination last month.

Today I was thinking about the title of my blog, The Fit Optimist.  Sheesh, that sounds a little over confident.  I will stand by the "Optimist"  part.  Lucky me, to wake up happy, positive and energetic everyday.  It must just be in my blood.  Now, the "Fit" part needs some clarification.  After all, I'm sure I could push myself much harder physically.  For example, I could do interval training; or, I could go for longer distances/higher resistance.   I use the term 'fit' because I work out pretty much daily, and I love working out so much that sometimes I tell myself I should take at least one day off a week!  The secret?  Well, I think at this point perhaps it's the endorphins I crave.  Who knows?  All I know is that  if my gym was a person, I'd marry it! Wait, now I'm confused.  I've always said I'd marry my bike if it was a person.  So, maybe I believe in polygamy.  Hey, I could be the Fit Polygamist! 

 Most of all, I think it's best to find a variety of activities that you enjoy, because that's a good way to use a variety of muscle groups.  Plus, everyone needs to find those activities that help rather than hinder their physical condition.  I now know for sure that I should never run again, for medical reasons.  That's a tough pill to swallow, but a smart one, if I listen to the voice of reason, and to my own body.  So, biking, swimming, weights, and walking can be my safe path to take.  And, why not try canoeing?  Cross-country skiing? (Because I hate the cold!!!!)  Oops, that wasn't very optimistic of me.

I shall now leave you with a few tidbits that I have discovered lately in my ongoing wellness research:

*If there is a food, such as ice cream, that is the food you go to when stressed, tell yourself that you will still allow yourself that food item, but you can't purchase it for your home. You would have to go out to a restaurant in order to consume it.  At least that way, (hopefully), you wouldn't be able to overdo as much or as often.

*If you are asked to bring a food item to a potluck, consider bringing a veggie or a fruit plate.  You could even bring some light Ranch dressing for the veggies. Then you'll have at least one healthy choice to fall back on. The other guests will be grateful, too.

*Having a hard time at a buffet or potluck?  Give yourself permission to have at least one spoonful of anything you want to eat.

*What do you keep in your car at all times?  Here are a few suggestions:  Healthy snacks that do not require refrigeration: almonds, granola bars, or dried fruit; sugar-free gum; a first-aid kit; emergency numbers; and exercise clothes, especially a pair of old tennis shoes, in case you have an opportunity to walk, or if you ever NEED to walk, to try to get help. 

Most of today's tips are just plain common sense, but how many of us have tried them all?  Not I!  But,  I shall especially try that last suggestion.  My dad would be proud.

All for now!  Have a happy and healthy May.

Mary

No comments: