Thursday, May 23, 2013

Making Lemonade

Hi Everyone,

How are you doing?  I'm trying to make some lemonade out of a huge lemon that came my way last Friday.  Sound familiar?  I'm sure you've heard that phrase:  When Life Gives You Lemons, Make Lemonade.  Most of you already know of my recent news, but to get everyone on the same page it is this:  My artificial hip has been recalled, and I learned about a week ago that it needs to be taken out.  I thought I'd pass all of the tests with flying colors, since I've been feeling so good, but the MRI shows pockets of fluid that are forming, and if left untouched, the muscles surrounding the joint will die.  The problem with the current prosthesis is that it has a separate neck piece that is inserted into the stem.  Because of that metal on metal contact, there can be problems with corrosion, and complications therein.  So, that is that, and here is how I am making lemonade.  I hope my optimism will motivate you when life gives you lemons.

*I'll get to spend quality time with family and friends.
*I'll finally have to slow myself down, which means I will (hopefully) finish my healthy workbook for kids, and either self publish, or aggressively try to find a publisher.
*I will become even more resilient to stresses that come my way.
*I will have my house in ship-shape condition right before the surgery, and will have crossed many things off of the To Do list.
*I'll finally read some good books and watch some good movies.
*And, hey, maybe I'll even lose some unwanted weight (from fasting for surgery, and eating hospital food) without having to try too hard!

Seriously, things can always be worse.  I don't have to look too far to see examples of that in other people's lives.  Now, I shall leave you with a few pieces of information to ponder:

*Soybeans are such champs.  They contain all of the following:  protein, fiber, iron, potassium, calcium, omega 3 and omega 6.  Try ordering a dish with tofu sometime.  Or, how about soy milk on cereal? You might just find that you like it. 

*I saw this quote in the Nutrition Action Newsletter, and it really rang true to me:  "Don't eat more of anything without eating less of something else."  Are you eating more fruits and vegetables?  What are you eating less of?

*If you are feeling down, why not get a pencil and paper and write down a list of things that you have accomplished and endured in your life?  All of those items make up who you are, whether they were positive or negative experiences.  Here are some examples:  moving; divorce; raising a pet; the loss of a pet; winning an award; childbirth; graduations; losing a family member; trips you have taken.  You could even make a journal out of it, calling it: Passages. 

That's it for May. As usual, I wish you wellness, in every facet of your life:  physically, emotionally, personally, socially, intellectually and ethically.  Take care! And, hey, if you feel thirsty on a nice hot day, try some lemonade!

Mary R.


No comments: