Friday, August 23, 2013

Catching Up

Hi Everyone.  Most of you know that I actually had to have another surgery since my last post.  There was a break in the femur, so they had to go back in and put in a plate and cables, to try to hold everything in place.  Because of that, my down time and my restrictions have increased.  So, my patience has been further tested.  Could be worse, right?  I don't have to look very far to see someone going through more than I have had to endure.  Besides, instead of just finishing my book, now I'm going to have enough time to make it a best seller!  Instead of simply practicing the piano more often, I'm training to be a concert pianist!  (I wish.)

Seriously, what I've noticed more than anything is how my experience has unfortunately affected the lives of people I am close to.  That makes me sad.  My grandchildren and I  haven't been able to go swimming or spend the night together.  My sweetheart and I haven't been able to go on walks, or take mini vacations.  My table tennis partner is going through pong withdrawals.  Those are just a few examples.

The other thing I've noticed is just how incredibly helpful my family and close friends have been throughout this process.  I'm so lucky to have such a fantastic support system. 

Here are a few interesting thoughts I'd like to share:

*When you buy 2% milk, it doesn't mean that it is 2% fat.  It actually is 38% fat.  What it means is that the milk is 2% fat by weight.  So, if you have a high blood cholesterol level, it's best to stick to skim or 1% milk.

*When you look at a food label, keep this in mind:  The more ingredients that are listed, the greater chance that the food has visited a processing plant.

*The participants in the National Weight Control Registry that shed an average of 50 pounds, and managed to keep the weight off for many years had these three things in common:  They ate 5 times a day, on average;  they moved regularly;  and they didn't skip meals, especially breakfast.

*I love Self Magazine.  Lately they've been putting a page in at the end of their issues that consists of a beautiful photo plus a deep thought.  Here's one that I copied recently, titled A Freeing Idea.

What would it feel like to let go of every negative thought about your body?  Try it:  Worship your legs for taking you on adventures, adore your abs for allowing you to lean into life, love your smile for revealing the joy in your heart.  Live as if your body were perfect, not only because you'll be more open to the world, but because in every way that truly matters, it is.

The accompanying photo was (the backside) of a naked woman  with outstretched arms, standing on a large rock in the middle of  a large body of water. Try to imagine yourself doing the same, as you read the passage again.

Enjoy the rest of the summer!  Go ahead and exercise a little extra this week, and dedicate that workout to me!  Your body will thank you, and I'll appreciate it too!

Mary

No comments: